A passion for learning and a natural curiosity to find out how things work. I’ve also developed a fascination in how people work.
A learner first, educator second, I am also a sometimes speaker who has conducted keynotes all over the globe – Beijing, New Zealand, New York, Yokohama, Hong Kong, Hanoi, Singapore, Boston, Philadelphia and all over Australia. I have been fortunate to visit many other places too, where I have learned from the best thinkers in both business and education.
As a relatively young leader, I honed my craft in small country schools working primarily with disadvantage, before starting with the Innovation & Next Practice Division of the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. Soon after, together with the President of the Science Teachers Association of Victoria, we established Quantum Victoria, A Centre of Excellence and Innovation in Science, Technology & Mathematics.
I am described as someone who is a passionate innovator who thinks differently.
I have been very fortunate and humbled to be recognized for much hard work with numerous awards including:
- 2009 Australian Awards for Teaching Excellence – Best National Achievement – The Minister’s Award for Excellence in ICT & Highly Commended in the Excellence by a Teacher Category (Awards Ceremony)
- 2010 Victorian Education Excellence Awards – Outstanding Secondary Teacher of the Year
- 2010 Australian Institute of Physics Travelling Scholar – Scholarship Winner
- 2011 Google Teacher Academy – Google Certified Teacher
- 2011 Creative Innovation – Scholarship Recipient
- 2012 Information & Communication Technology Education Victoria (ICTEV) – Outstanding Australian Leader of the Year
- 2012 Australian Council for Computers in Education (ACCE) & Australian Computer Society (ACS) – Outstanding Leader of the Year
Whilst accepting these awards was and is still a huge honour, I dedicate them to those that shaped the person that I am and also to all those teachers that work so hard, day in day out, often working late into the night every night, trying to create the most memorable learning experiences that they can for kids.
Constantly seeking balance, I am relishing my role as Director of Teaching & Learning in a prestigious Independent School in Geelong.
So, who am I? I’m still trying to figure that out.