Crumpler has given away the pattern for one of their original messenger-style bags via an initiative called the Crumpler Kitchen. As a big fan of Crumpler, this seemed like a great opportunity for a project for our Year 5’s.
Beginning in term 3, this project will involve students:
- Selecting an appropriate material.
- Examining the pattern and scaling to size.
- Sourcing approximately two meters of shoulder strap webbing, some Velcro, a clip or a buckle and something to adjust the strap length.
- Learning to use a sewing machine.
- Using 2D Design to design a Crumpler-esque badge for their bag. Similar to this one.
- Sourcing some two-tone, light weight rubber for use on our Trotec laser cutter
- Using the laser cutter to produce the badge for their bag
- Hand-stitching the badge to their bag.
Students will show their creations to the Crumpler Team upon completion.
This is a real project that has process, product and audience and effectively uses technology to create something of value.
See our student handout – Crumpler Task